Care and Use - Portmeirion & Spode
Tableware: Porcelain and Earthenware
Designed for modern day living, Portmeirion’s tableware is “oven-to-table”, microwave, and dishwasher safe. Some items can even go from freezer to oven (providing the dish is at least half full with food or liquid). To get the most from your tableware, please review the following Tips.
- Most tableware items – such as dinner plates, mugs, serving bowls or platters, etc. – can be placed in a warm oven (225° F or lower), but should not be used for cooking.
- Cookware items – such as lasagne dishes, roasters, ramekins, casseroles, etc. – are designed to perform at temperatures normally used for cooking up to 425° F.
- Do not use items that include non-ceramic materials, such as salt and pepper shakers, in the oven or microwave.
- Do not place items on a direct source of heat, e.g., hob, halogen burner, electric coil, or gas burner.
- Allow ware to cool naturally for a short period of time before placing it in water to wash or on a cold or wet surface such as tile, stone or metal. Do not cool items by placing them in cool water.
- For microwave use, follow your manufacturer’s manual for guidelines. Do not use your microwave to warm plates. When microwave cooking foods that exude fluids such as fish, bacon, etc., be sure to place a paper towel under the foods to absorb the hot fluids to dissipate the thermal shock of super-heated fluids. Remember that ceramics will pick up some of the heat created in the microwave, so use care in holding handles or picking up plates.
Please note that gold accented collections, including Spode Christmas Tree Gold, Evesham Gold, Sara Miller London Chelsea, Celestial and Piccadilly collections are not microwave safe.
Cleaning Your Tableware:
All Portmeirion earthenware and porcelain tableware is easy to clean, either using a dishwasher or by hand using conventional detergents.
If you use a dishwasher, follow the manufacturer’s instructions. We recommend liquid detergents over powder and recommend against using detergents with “lemon” or other citrus scents/additives as they can have a long-term detrimental effect on ceramic glazes and cause colors to fade. Abrasive heavy duty detergents, scouring powders, or steel wool pads should never be used.
Occasionally, dark streaks may be found on your tableware from contact with silverware or kitchen utensils. Apply a small amount of a gentle, non-abrasive cleaner such as Zud or Barkeeper’s Friend on a soft, wet cloth or sponge.
Please note that collections with gold banding or accents are not dishwasher safe. This includes (but is not limited to) the collections including Spode Christmas Tree Gold, Sara Miller London Chelsea, Celestial and Piccadilly collections.
Cutlery/Serveware: Metal and Porcelain
Portmeirion’s cutlery items such as cake slicers, teaspoons, or pastry forks are made from stainless steel and have beautiful porcelain handles. We recommend that these are hand washed in mild soapy water and dried with a soft cloth.
We recommend that you wash by hand to keep the glass at its best. If you choose to use a dishwasher, please note that this may cause the glass to “bloom”, develop a haze, or the design may lose brilliance.